Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

50 Shades of Grey is so much like Twilight

Virtually everyone has read Fifty Shades of Grey.

When it first started popping out into the mainstream books, I didn't engross to the hype. Why? I literally thought it was a book for an architectural basis or the like until people within my network started talking about it. Almost all of my friends are reading the e-book and are bugging me to read it too. And I didn't succumb because the reason they wanted me to read FSOG (okay I am a lazy typist) is because of how detailed the author writes. And I didn't get the detailed part at first. I was like "Guys, I have read through hundreds of books which are written in deliciously amount of details." Little did I know that the detail they were pertaining to was far from how Gabriel Allon decapitates a Nazi POW. Far, far from that.

One September night, I finished reading a really really good book. You know the feeling of reading the last sentence of a book and you feel so sad that you've read the whole entirety of a really good story that you don't know what to do with your life anymore? I felt so sad that I immediately wanted to read another book just so I will have something to do with my life again. And then FSOG happened.

The first chapter of the book was screaming of boredom, I must admit. But what kept me from abandoning my reading is the curiosity as to why it became so popular. Take note, I haven't done any advance reading or spoilers, if you may, about the book. Not even a description. But as I got deeper into reading, I have been noticing some prominent similarities to another young adult fiction--Twilight.

Seriously, the similarities are pulsating to be pin pointed. I am still at chapter 9, so so far, these are the principal comparisons


  • First of, Jose. MY GOD. Jose is the screaming image of Jacob from Twilight. Tan skin and dark hair? 
  • Next is Paul. Hello Mike? The high school kid who was hitting on Bella at the first parts of the book.
  • And really now, BELLA AND ANA. Both are brunets with pale skin.
  • Edward and Christian, the unruly hair is very uncanny, and so as their need to read Ana/Bella's thoughts.
  • Anastasia's mom has remarried.
  • Anastasia's old beaten VW car and Bella's VW truck.
  • Edward and Christian's love for lavish cars.
  • Christian saving Ana from a vehicular accident. Bella and Edward's scene with an icy-wheeled truck.
  • Both books have a restaurant wherein the waitress is into the guy (Christian & Edward)
  • DIET COKE.
  • Ana and Bella both have addicting smells. 
Bare in mind I am still at chapter 9! So I will not be surprised if a coven of vampires is out and in search for Ana's blood! This is all too weird. The only difference is (well aside from vampires and shape-shifters) is the sex. FSOG answers to the lacking of sexual details Twilight has which was just a tease in the latter. And the sex element made it marketable to Twilight fans who craved for details for the main characters from Twilight which they identified from Christian and Anastasia. 

So what do you think? Is FSOG a rip-off of the Twilight series?


No comments:

Post a Comment